Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Year: 2019
Volume: 14
Issue: 5
Page No. 1498 - 1509

Energy and Exergy Analysis of Magnetohydrodynamic Nuclear Fission Reactor (MHD-NFR) Cycle

Authors : Alireza Shayestehnezhad, Shahram Khalilarya and Samad Jafamadar

Abstract: This study aims at investigating closed-cycle MHD power plant with individual unit capacity of 250 MW and using helium and xenon mixture as a working gas. The heat source required to produce the gas flow supplied by the nuclear fission reactor. Using mass, energy and exergy balance equations all cycle equipment have been analyzed individually and energy efficiency, exergy efficiency and irreversibility has been calculated for each of them as required. The results of the analysis show that the maximum efficiency of the first and second law of the cycle at a nominal load of 250 MW with a temperature output of 2300 K and enthalpy extraction 34.79% using a Faraday MHD generator are 51.17%. Paying more attention to the exergy destruction ratio is about 48.83% of the exergy entering in CCMHD cycles. Hence, the remaining 51.17% is converted to power. The MHD generator in this case is the most important cause of exergy destruction in cycle about 20%. Effects of compressor stage number, regenerator efficiency and cooler operating temperature on plant efficiency were studied.

How to cite this article:

Alireza Shayestehnezhad, Shahram Khalilarya and Samad Jafamadar, 2019. Energy and Exergy Analysis of Magnetohydrodynamic Nuclear Fission Reactor (MHD-NFR) Cycle. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14: 1498-1509.

Design and power by Medwell Web Development Team. © Medwell Publishing 2021 All Rights Reserved