Search in Medwell
 
 
Research Journal of Biological Sciences
Year: 2015 | Volume: 10 | Issue: 4 | Page No.: 78-80
DOI: 10.36478/rjbsci.2015.78.80  
Vitamin D Deficiency and its Associated Predictors among Patients Visiting Primary Health Care Center
Manal Kassab , Ahed J Alkhatib , AbuBaker A , Ali Shotar and Geir Bjorklund
 
Abstract: Vitamin D can be made through exposure to sun in the skin. About 90% of vitamin D is made in the skin through the stimulation of UV sunlight whereas the remaining 10% of vitamin D is provided through dietary supplementations. The study objectives were to determine the frequency of vitamin D deficiency among a sample of patients who visited health center at Jordan University of Science and Technology and to identify predictors for vitamin D deficiency. This was a cross-sectional study and included 123 participants. Data was collected through a questionnaire and a blood sample was collected from each participant in case he agreed to participate in the study. Study findings showed that the frequency of vitamin D deficiency was 30.9% and vitamin D insufficiency was 47.2%. Gender was significantly associated with vitamin D deficiency (p = 0.000) and females were more likely to develop vitamin D deficiency. No significant associations were observed between vitamin D status and other study variables including blood group (p = 0.603), educational level (p = 0.156), monthly income (p = 0.344), sun exposure (p = 0.061) and family history of vitamin D deficiency (p = 0.653).
 
How to cite this article:
Manal Kassab, Ahed J Alkhatib, AbuBaker A, Ali Shotar and Geir Bjorklund, 2015. Vitamin D Deficiency and its Associated Predictors among Patients Visiting Primary Health Care Center. Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 10: 78-80.
DOI: 10.36478/rjbsci.2015.78.80
URL: http://medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=rjbsci.2015.78.80