The Social Sciences

Year: 2017
Volume: 12
Issue: 2
Page No. 313 - 318

Saving for Retirement Behavior among Private Sector’s Employees in Malaysia: Dungun, Terengganu Case

Authors : Ahmad Farid Ridhwan, Mazni Mohamed, Sharifah Nawaitul Masdinar and Wan Mohd Nor Hisyam

Abstract: In Malaysia, awareness in retirement is still an indistinct issue among society. There are a lot of retirement products being introduced by financial institutions and yet the initiatives to save for retirement are step sided by many. This is where most of us think that companies and government retirement plan should be enough to cover us for golden year’s expenses. However, many studies have shown that money saved in companies and government pension plan may not be adequate for future consumption. Therefore, this study subjectively aimed at discussion on saving retirement behavior among private sector’s employees in Dungun, Terengganu. A theoretical framework is developed to illustrate the relationship between financial risk tolerance, financial and investment knowledge and religiosity. This study utilized questionnaire based surveys to solicit responses from employees who are working in private sectors in Dungun, Terengganu. Data collected from 200 employees were analyzed by using statistical procedures of Statistical Package for the Social Science (SPSS) version 19. Based on the investigation, the result reveals that there is significant relationship between all independent variables towards dependent variables. As a whole, the whole model is demonstrated that all the independents variables are able to explain 18.4% of the total variation dependent variables. The rest of 81.6% can be explained by undefined variables in this research. The analysis of this research was determined by the factors that influence savings for retirement among private sector’s employees in dungun, terengganu. The factors that influence to the savings for retirement are financial risk tolerance, financial investment knowledge and religiosity that represent as independent variables.

How to cite this article:

Ahmad Farid Ridhwan, Mazni Mohamed, Sharifah Nawaitul Masdinar and Wan Mohd Nor Hisyam, 2017. Saving for Retirement Behavior among Private Sector’s Employees in Malaysia: Dungun, Terengganu Case. The Social Sciences, 12: 313-318.

Design and power by Medwell Web Development Team. © Medwell Publishing 2022 All Rights Reserved